- Serves 4.
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup purple onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground gloves
- 4 French rolls (6-inches)
- 4 endive or lettuce leaves
or until very tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and
ground cloves. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally 25-30 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
Refrigerate in a tightly covered container up to 1 week.
To assemble sandwiches, bring onion mixture to room temperature. Place endive or lettuce
leaves on bottom halves of toasted rolls. Arrange beef over endive. Spread onion mixture evenly
over beef. Place top halves on rolls. Cut each sandwich in half.