- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 ripe but not too soft mango, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, minced, or some crushed red
- pepper flakes to taste, optional
Heat oil in large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, chili powder and
oregano. Sauté 2 minutes until softened. Add mango, cilantro, lime and hot pepper, if using. Stir
to combine well; let cool.
Makes enough for about 3 (9-inch) quesadillas; each makes 3 to 4 appetizer servings or 2 entree
For each quesadilla, spread 3/4 cup filling over the tortilla. Spread 2 tablespoons of your favorite
salsa over the filling. Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese over the salsa and top with the second
tortilla. Quesadillas can be assembled a day before cooking and stored stacked on a plate,
covered well in your refrigerator. Bake quesadillas on a baking pan in a preheated 375 degree F
oven 10 minutes or sauté them in a nonstick pan sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Cook 2
minutes on each side until lightly browned and cheese is melted. After cooking, cut into 2-inchwide
wedges and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Serve with salsa and sour cream.