- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups catsup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 whole (5 pound) Boston pork butt
- 12 soft hamburger buns
paprika, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute. Add catsup, sugar, vinegar and water; simmer,
covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; simmer 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper. This can be made two
days ahead, then refrigerated, covered. Before using, simmer 3 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in large ovenproof Dutch oven; add pork; brown for 10
Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes. Pour 1 cup of barbecue sauce over pork. Cover pot. Lower heat
to 250 degrees F. Bake 3 to 3 1/2 hours, basting meat occasionally, until a thermometer inserted
in the middle of the roast registers 170 degrees F to 180 degrees F.
Let cool slightly. Trim off excess fat. Pull meat apart using two forks. Mix pulled meat with
remaining barbecue sauce in a large bowl.
Serve on buns with cole slaw.